Seriously.
Some days I just feel like the WORST mom ever.
It's not even about what my child is doing right now.
He actually is being amazing this week.
It's all the OTHER mom stuff that I feel like I am failing at.
I had the BEST of intentions when school started back in August
to follow this amazing schedule for
cleaning,
laundry,
homework time,
workout routine,
etc.
And then February happened.
2 rainy weeks put my workout routine under wraps
(with my large, warm hoodie).
A long weekend away with some of my girls
piled the laundry higher than my forehead.
A non-stop 3 weeks of "something every night"
- even on the weekends -
put my
cleaning,
laundry,
homework,
the rest of my life SCHEDULE
on complete
HIATUS!
Fast-forward to May ...
and I am STILL trying to crawl out from the proverbial "rock" of chores.
I feel so overwhelmed by all of it.
It just never ends.
The last few weeks, I have been trying to convince myself of some things:
1. Cleaning can wait for a few more days -- even one week isn't terrible.
2. Laundry can stay clean and in baskets. It's not hurting a soul.
3. Sight words is enough right now.
4. You can work out this summer.
And honestly, what does having a clean house really say about me?
That I got it all together?
That I am one of those "perfect people"?
I mean, my house is never even CLOSE to cess-pool.
It's just not up to "MY" status of where I would PREFER it.
That is completely different.
And while I slave away on bathrooms and deep cleaning my baseboards,
what am I missing out on?
WELL - Tonight I would have missed out on catching a toad in my backyard with my son.
and exploring/explaining the differences between frogs and toads.
I would have missed watching his silky black hair shine
in the golden night sun
as the scent of honeysuckle wrapped around us.
I would have missed his silly squeal as the toad jumped out of his hands.
He will only be 5 once.
Heck -- I just realized that today he is actually 5 and 1/2.
And ya' know what?
That day only comes ONCE! IN OUR LIFETIMES!!
So am I okay with the fact that I haven't vacuumed since last week?
Yes.
Am I okay with the fact that I haven't wiped down my bathroom counter in more days than I care to count?
Absolutely.
You know why?
That moment in the backyard catching a toad with my son
is worth the dust on my baseboards, fans and end tables.
The moment where I can picture his sweet face giggling over the bumpy skin
is worth the 3 baskets of laundry sitting in my bedroom.
I just have to keep this perspective and realize that he won't think I am a great mom for keeping the house immaculate.
He will think I am a great mom for taking time to play with toads in the backyard.
And that is what I have to keep remembering ...
No comments:
Post a Comment