So M is 5 years old and we have never really pushed the whole "Santa" thing.
Not because I am some crazy, over-spiritual person.
It's just that I don't want him to be one of those kids who write 26 page "wish-lists" and then pout when "Santa" doesn't come thru.
We sing songs about Santa -
we go and take the yearly picture with him -
we leave out the milk and cookies -
the typical "kid" things.
However, I was still slighty surprised that he was SO excited about Santa.
On Christmas Eve, I pulled up the NORAD tracker and showed him that Santa was "on his way". I expected a little excitement. A little smirk and a few questions. Boy, was I completely mellowing the experience for him.
When I showed him the satellite -- he took off and started running around the room screaming, "EVERYONE! HURRY UP AND GO TO BED!!! SANTA IS COMING! SANTA IS COMING!!!!"
He ran up the stairs, throwing his clothes off and yelling, "MOMMY! QUICK! TURN ON THE SHOWER!!!!! I GOTTA TAKE IT BEFORE SANTA COMES!!!!"
I got up and laughed to myself as I followed behind him, picking up his carelessly strewn clothes.
I got him in the shower and as I got his PJ's in order, he started screaming, "MOMMY! MOMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!"
I peeked in the bathroom and asked him what he wanted.
"MOMMY! You and Daddy need to go RIGHT to bed when I go to sleep. I mean RIGHT to bed. You CANNOT stay up and watch a movie like you usually do. OR stay up talking. You have to go RIGHT to bed!!! I have been SO good this year and I know that Santa WON'T skip our house if you are up -- BUT he will have to wait for you! HURRY UP!!!"
I told him I promised that we would hurry.
When I was kissing him goodnight and saying the prayers, he looked at me and said, "Mommy! I don't want to go on the Polar Express tonight if it comes. I just want to stay here and listen for Santa."
He then proceeded to ask me a bunch of different questions about how Santa would get inside and how he would walk up the stairs without anyone hearing him, and a bunch of other things that I was seriously amazed he was thinking about. But then -- he stopped and said, "WAIT!!! THIS IS TAKING TOO LONG! GO DOWNSTAIRS! GO TO BED!! SANTA IS COMING!!!!"
I agreed and turned off the light.
I have to admit -- I was getting so caught up in his excitement, that after I helped him into his PJ's and bed -- I ran downstairs to my dear hubs and said, "BABE!!! WE GOT TO GET IN BED! SANTA IS COMING!"
B just stared at me, until I calmed down.
Little does he know, deep down, I still believe ...
=)
No comments:
Post a Comment